Friday, December 30, 2011

Seeing With an Open Heart

I Heart Christmas Lights Sometimes we become too pragmatic. In the deep desire to be frugal, sometimes pennywise becomes pound-foolish.

The lists, cleaning plans, and disciplined ways of life push into the space needed for joy and wonder. There are days so busy with errand running and house projects that the notion of daydreaming seems foreign.

All of these good things will keep me from the very best thing if I'm not careful. Despite the models we see of people crowding new and amazing projects into every single possible moment, there is nothing wrong with the quiet moments.

The moments with my heart open to Him and only Him. The moments that teach me, that show me the why for all the other things I do. And most importantly, these are the moments that help me to keep my heart open to His leading as I take on the projects that form the rest of my day. And I wonder where keeping my heart open will take me next year....


-----------------
This was written in five minutes with no editing for Five Minute Fridays over at The Gypsy Mama.

8 comments:

  1. I can understand this: "All of these good things will keep me from the very best thing if I'm not careful." And that's why those quiet times and you and Him are so important. I agree! Good five minute thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a reminder. One that I need often. Thank you for sharing! Blessings, Tirzah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this, Amy!
    And it is so true... we do get caught up in our own plans and it does crowd out the wonder of this amazing life of ours...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love this! Yes--I'm with you -- striving to keep my heart open wide in 2012. Thanks for capturing it so well in so little time ;)
    Blessings,
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy,

    It's great to that we're in the GMG group together! Looking forward to getting to know you even more :) I feel like we're quite friends now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have truly composed some beautiful thoughts in five minutes!

    It's quite true that sometimes, we can let "to do" lists dominate our lives without enjoying the life that the Lord has given to us. It's very important to slow down sometimes and relax, and let God lead us through the quiet hours of our days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Amy, for this reminder to keep a sense of joy about me as I go about the mundane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, yes, YES, to moments with a heart open to Him and only Him. Thank you for the reminder that intimacy with Him teaches us the *why* for our actions, nothing else...

    ReplyDelete