Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Simple Stovetop Chili

Cold weather has finally come to Virginia. And with it comes the urge to break out the chili and stew recipes. I will occasionally go all out and make more elaborate chili, but this recipe is good when I just want something simple that I can put together and leave to simmer. It's adapted from my mom's chili, except that I don't use beans.

Simple Stovetop Chili


1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped or sliced
2-3 T. olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 T. chili powder (I prefer Penzey's salt-free)
salt & pepper to taste
2 cups crushed tomatoes
1-2 tsp. molasses
1/4-1/2 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 T. chopped fresh parsley (optional)
1 cup water

1. Saute garlic and onion in olive oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or large pan until onion softens(about 3 or 4 min.) Then stir in ground beef and brown it.

2. Add remaining ingredients, except fresh parsley, and stir together.

3. Cook for two hours, covered, over low heat. Stir periodically, and add water if needed.

4. In the last 15 minutes of cooking, you can add fresh parsley if desired and adjust the seasonings.

5. Serve with fresh onions, chopped tomato, grated cheese, sour cream or whatever other toppings strike your fancy.

NOTE: I make this chili mild and then pass Tabasco sauce at the table for those who like it spicy. Also, while I know chili purists would scold me, I like my chili over rice as you can tell from the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment