Friday, December 23, 2011

TWO Songs of Advent Tonight!

I was in such a hurry yesterday that I forgot to set yesterday's entry to post, so I'm just going to share that song and today's song all in one post. As Christmas Day grows closer, I've been thinking of the actual scene, imagining what Christ's birth must have been like for that family huddled in the stable, for the shepherds having their night illuminated by choirs of angels, and for those men from the East who made a long journey just to worship the baby Christ. Whenever I think of that "multitude of the heavenly host praising God" in Luke 2:13, I picture a vast choir singing amazingly beautiful songs. Our closest approximation here on earth is probably that of human choirs singing some of these beautiful Christmas carols. That's why I just had to find a version of "Angels We Have Heard on High" being sung by a choir. Here's one from the Las Vegas Master Singers, accompanied by the Las Vegas Philharmonic:



I've also enjoyed several of the Christmas songs put together by Chicago Metro Presbytery(PCA) and Paul van der Bijl, and "O Sing a Song of Bethlehem" is another song that I just had to share. It's very different in tone from the first song, but also beautiful. I love how the lyrics start with the image of Christ's birth and follow through to what it all really meant. And the music in this version is really gorgeous, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment