Wednesday, December 21, 2011

What Child is This?

I still remember the first time I heard this song. Played on a flute, the high, clear melody haunted me. Even in a more complicated arrangement, the melody of the song has a straight and simple quality that fits the story it tells. A baby, lying in His mother's arms in a common stable, is adored by shepherds and heralded by angels. This quiet little scene is the birth of our King, and we must "haste to bring him laud." After all, as the song promises, He has brought salvation and this day is for us to be reminded to "let loving hearts enthrone Him."

It's a beautiful message, told simply and clearly. I couldn't find a good flute version that wasn't simply an instrumental, but I like this version by Mercy Me, too.

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite Christmas tunes. I'd never heard the MercyMe version. It's pretty. I really like Faith Hill's version too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,

    Her name is Danielle, and she has a blog:

    http://www.davidanddanielledurand.blogspot.com

    She found that all the groups were mummy groups, so decided to make one for women who were stay-at-home wives. Thought it would ge great for us to join!

    Thanks for the prayers! Our city needs them!

    ReplyDelete