Monday, January 16, 2012

Book Review: One Bite at a Time

The book - One Bite at a Time: 52 Projects for Making Life Simpler by Tsh Oxenreider
Simple Living Media, $5.00 (2011)(e-book)

This book was the perfect way to start off my year! For those not aware, Tsh Oxenreider's Simple Mom blog is a great source of basic homemaking tips. And if you're looking to simplify your life, it's a wonderful place to find practical advice. This eBook contains some of the same advice one might find on the blog, but it's been expanded somewhat and there are plenty of articles in the book that do not appear on the blog.

For me, the greatest strength of the book comes from the format. Oxenreider gives readers 52 projects, one for each week of the year. This allows one to make great changes without getting overwhelmed by the sheer volume of work to be done. Her idea of breaking things down into manageable bits makes a lot more sense, and I think it's the sort of plan most readers will be able to stick to.

The projects in this book cover a wide variety of subjects from financial management to family relationship building to streamlining those chore routines. Some projects are things that I already do (cleaning as I go along in the kitchen, for example) while others are things I know I should do but perhaps haven't gotten around to yet (streamlining my receipt system - oh, that needs help!).

I tend to be a procrastinator, so the first project in the book was ideal for me. We are encouraged to "Eat your frog." In simple English, this means to take your least favorite item on the day's to-do list and get it out of the way first. Since I started doing this, my days feel so much more positive because instead of dreading a particular chore all day long, it gets out of the way and off my mind early in the day.

And other projects in the book likewise make sense. In addition to encouraging readers, the author does a good job of explaining reasons behind some of the projects she suggests. If you're interested in simplifying your household routines and finances as well as strengthening relationships with your family, then I highly recommend this e-book. It's a helpful, user-friendly resource, and it's been getting my 2012 off to a wonderful start.

BONUS: Tsh Oxenreider is also author of, the book, Organized Simplicity. That book is available in a print edition, as well as an e-book edition. And if you're looking for a bargain, the Kindle edition of Organized Simplicity is available on Amazon for free - today only!

4 comments:

  1. Amy,thank you for the tip. I already own her other book, Organized Simplicity and it is very good.

    I will look at this one today.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been wanting to read Organized Simplicity and am psyched it is available for free on kindle! Thanks for sharing the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of this book before, and it sounds wonderful.

    Thank you for your visit, Amy and your encouraging words!

    I guess I'll keep plugging along with my book, one bite at a time:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful book to help get people organized in their homes. Although I am not a fan of ebooks, this might be one I will consider checking-out in the future.

    ReplyDelete