Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Midweek Links - Make Your Own Staples

One of the items mentioned in Tsh Oxenreider's One Bite at a Time is making one's own kitchen staples. I've long made my own herb blends(see one below) and mayonnaise, but only recently did I start exploring how to make other kitchen staples.

This do-it-yourself mustard looks pretty tasty, and I'm definitely going to be giving it a whirl in my own kitchen.

I know hummus isn't a staple in every kitchen, but we really like it and it's healthy, so I often keep it on hand as a snack food. This recipe is yummy, and it also has a sesame-free option in case you or someone you cook for might have allergies.

Coming from the South, I'm used to hearing debates over the merits of Hellmann's versus Duke's mayo. However, I prefer making my own. It has a much better flavor than anything storebought. I've used a whole host of recipes from Julia Child to the newspaper food section. Lately, I've been turning to this page because it has a good basic recipe and all kinds of variations. Try it! It's easier than one might think.

And then there's the great laundry list containing all kinds of staples. You can find it here at Simple Bites(part of the Simple Mom group of sites), and it just might inspire you to make over your kitchen. Personally, I'm thinking tomorrow will be the perfect day to make and freeze some chicken stock.

And as promised, here is one of my herb blend recipes. For a simple meal, you can brush chicken breasts with olive oil, bake them for 15-20 minutes and then sprinkle some of this herb blend over them. Continue baking chicken until done and then squeeze lemon juice over it right before serving. Easy and delicious! This blend is also very good mixed into meatballs or used to flavor soups and stews.

Italian herb blend

3 tsp. dried basil
3 tsp. dried oregano
3 tsp. dried marjoram
1 1/2 tsp. dried sage
powdered garlic to taste (optional)

2 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious,Amy! I use garlic in just about every entree!

    I think I will go get some supper now:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. we just made mayo for the first time recently. nothing in the store tastes like fresh eggs and olive oil! best chicken salad ever:)

    ReplyDelete