1 lb. ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 T. chili powder (my favorite is Penzey's)
2 tsp. salt
1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
1 can red kidney beans
1. Brown meat with onions and peppers.
2. Add remaining ingredients except rice and beans and cook over medium to medium-low heat for 15 minutes. It's okay if the mixture bubbles, but don't let it boil hard.
3. Remove from heat and pour into a large casserole pan. (9X13 works best if you're making full recipe)
4. Evenly distribute rice and beans into mixture and stir. Don't be worried if it looks a little soupy; this is normal!
5. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour. Check mixture after 35-45 minutes and if all water absorbed, add up to 1/4 cup more water.
6. Take out and stir after the full hour has passed, cover again, and return to oven for additional 15 minutes. Serves 6-8.
Enjoy! This is really good with just a simple salad on the side.