Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Cooking Rice

Please tell me that I'm not the only one who has ever ended up with a crunchy mess when I try to cook rice using the directions on the back of the box! I was starting to wonder if one just needed some kind of special knack for cooking rice because so often it ended up being either overly crunchy or a soggy mess when I tried to make it.

However, I found a couple of methods that changed that for me, and I'm sharing them below. One tip, though: Do NOT use Minute Rice! In addition to being processed and treated, it just doesn't cook up the same way regular rice does. Nowadays, I normally use brown rice or basmati rice.



So, how to make foolproof rice? Think pasta. Instead of trying to figure out the perfect amount of water for the rice to absorb while simmering slowly on the stove, just heat a pot of water to boiling as you would for pasta. Then pour in the rice. Let it keep boiling away over medium heat until your rice is nice and tender, then drain and serve.


If you'd rather not waste water, the More-With-Less cookbook made my life so much easier by teaching me that it really is possible to cook rice in the oven. My final product isn't quite the same as their recipe, but here's what I do:

1. Mix rice and hot water in casserole dish (2 parts water to 1 part rice - and I heat my water as hot as my sink will make it).
2. Add salt and about 1 T. butter
3. Stir, cover tightly and bake at 350.
4. Depending on the brand of rice you use, it will take 20-40 minutes to bake. I usually check the rice at the 15/20 minute mark. If rice dries out, add a little hot water while baking.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm going to try this oven version. Since America's Test Kitchen agrees that's the best method :)

    have you ever tried it in a slow cooker? I'm just curious if it would work....

    Thanks for sharing something I feel I should know but dont, Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use a microwave rice cooker and I have 1 cup rice, 2 cups boiling water, cook for 12 mins (uncovered) and sit for 4 (covered) and have never had mushy rice since. It works every time. And what is the rice cooker - really nothing more than a large round (high sided) plastic bowl. I always cook more than I need and freeze what is left - frozen rice is so handy for meals that you need a small amount of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - I totally stopped buying normal rice because it was ALWAYS bony. I can't wait to try this tip. Thanks~~~ Popping over from Titus 2sdays!

    ReplyDelete