Thursday, February 9, 2012

Counting Costs

There are those who refer to us homemakers as “parasites.” Or who try to guilt us out of our homes by pointing out how poor we must be making our families by stubbornly refusing to get out there and earn a paycheck. I’ve seen homemakers firing back with data showing how much a homemaker is worth, how much a family saves by the wife staying home to care for the children and other services rather than having to pay for daycare or household help. While there’s some validity to these points, I find in my own experience that focusing on the economic issue alone rather misses the point.

Money is not the reason I’m called to keep the home, and I suspect it’s not the primary force that brought anyone into this lifestyle. I know there are some who cannot be full-time homemakers because their family’s circumstances will not allow it (saving up to stay home in the future, disabled spouse, etc..), but as one for whom it is a possibility, I think it’s truly my calling.
---------
As I've transitioned from full-time to work to focusing my energies on home as well as working from home, I've been thinking about different aspects of this life. And today I'm talking about weighing the financial versus the eternal focus of home ministry over at Desiring Virtue. Come join us!

1 comment:

  1. I think some people get annoyed with mothers at home whilst getting government welfare - this is quite common in Australia. If the family income is low enough (below $150,000 Aus/US) then families are entitled to tax cuts etc. I suppose some people think that if it is a choice, then should these families receive welfare benefits. It is a tricky area.

    ReplyDelete