Friday, February 17, 2012

Delighted in Me?

He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me.
-Psalm 18:19

DEFINITION of "DELIGHT": 1: a high degree of gratification : joy; also : extreme satisfaction
2: something that gives great pleasure
3archaic : the power of affording pleasure

-from Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Double chocolate delight 002 copy
You have to admit that something like this crosses your mind when you hear the word delight, don't you?

We are not perfect. We all sin and fall short. I consider that Bible 101; it's the reality check that we all get when we start thinking we're too holy and it's one of the first things we learn about being Christians. None of us can be wholly righteous, but we can be saved.

But then there's that delight factor - that chocolate and fruity treats factor. We're all sinners and we've all done terrible things in the eyes of God. Yet He does not just save us. We are told repeatedly throughout Scripture (but especially in the Psalms) that God actually delights in us. He didn't save us begrudgingly because He had nothing better to do. God actually loves us so much that he really delights in us. Or, to put it another way, God takes pleasure in us as if we're a treat rather than an embarassment. It's that simple and yet almost unbearably huge paradox that underpins our faith. We cannot earn worth and salvation on our own, but God wants us and takes such delight in us that He would shower us with His love anyway and move us to seek Him.
-----------
Even though I often fill my Friday pages with run-on sentences and other affronts to grammar, The Gypsy Mama lets me keep writing free and wild for five minutes every Friday. This week's topic is "Delight", and if you want to write for five minutes, I hope you'll come join in. You can link up with everyone here:


13 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post, Amy! I love the picture and had to smile because the very first line in my blog on Delight referenced ice cream! I love what you said about Him viewing us as a treat. It is a huge paradox,as you mentioned, and leaves me humbled and thankful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from the Gypsy Mama today and really enjoyed this post! Thanks for sharing your heart in this! Enjoyed reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is so hard isn't it?? He doesn't just save us, redeem us and pour out His blessings upon our lives. He delights in us! Amazing. Thanks for this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this . . . "He showers us with His love anyway." Yes! Amazing and beautiful! So happy to meet you here, Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to meet you, too. I've been enjoying your blog!

      Delete
  5. Um, now I want chocolate ice cream and raspberries... thanks a lot. :P
    I am delightful in the eyes of my Lover. Such a great identity to have, no? Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "We cannot earn worth and salvation on our own, but God wants us and takes such delight in us that He would shower us with His love anyway and move us to seek Him."

    The truth of God's love for us is so far beyond what we can possibly imagine, that it's good to sometimes pause for a moment and reflect on just how much He truly does love us!

    Beautiful post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chocolate and fruity treats factor...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your picture of made me smile with delight and how you pointed out the paradox that He delights in us...so grateful for such an amazing truth :) Thanks, Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that's something we need to be reminded of often - that God actually delights in us - my little pea sized brain can't comprehend it I'm afraid :) i am so thankful that I serve an amazing God who loves even me... Thank you for the reminder!

    Hopping over from Gypsy Mama's :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I needed that beautiful truth today. It brings tears to my eyes! Thank you so much Amy. {hugs from a Sister in Christ}

    Maiden Princess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw...thanks. And hugs right back to you! I'm so glad to see you online again. :)

      Delete