Saturday, February 25, 2012

I Like Mine With Cheddar

Please tell me I'm not the only person whose first Five Minute Friday thought centered on food.

I do like my grits with cheese, though. Butter and bits of bacon are also good, but cheese grits are the bomb. And don't be enticed by the lure of the instant grit. They just don't taste the same.

Which of course leads me to my second thought upon seeing this week's Five Minute Friday prompt - My Cousin Vinny. The scene with the grit-eating witness is hilarious, but also a good reminder to pay attention to the little details in life. They might make your case, help you figure things out, or best yet - point you to God.

And eventually, my mind drifts from grit-eating and movies to the grit that irritates my eyes. I can rub and rub at it until my eyes turn red and hurt like fire, or I can endure the irritation for a bit until it all washes out. Life is full of those little irritations. And I have to wonder - perhaps if we don't worry at them so much, they wouldn't dig in quite so painfully?

-----------
I'm spending my five minutes being way more random than usual this Five Minute Friday (and on Saturday, no less!). Five Minute Friday is an exercise in writing wild and free, and if you've got five minutes, why not hop over and give it a whirl?

8 comments:

  1. nice to meet you amy:) my name is martha. my blog is grittygrace.com and NO, food never entered my mind when the word grit came up...ha!
    i've lived in the south before and now live in east TX...which is southernish. but my yankee-ness prevents me from really enjoying grits! it is good with cheese i will grant you.
    i enjoyed your blog and post. hope we meet again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your take on the grit! Simple, understandable, and remarkably true word pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is grit, grit , and grtisssssss thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truth? I've never eaten grits. Life keeps moving further north where grits is hard to find in the grocery store much less in a restaurant. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love cheese grits and now you've made me hungry! :)
    You're right that life can be full of little irritations. Sometimes just to get us off track. Thanks for your thoughts and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only had grits a couple of times and cheddar cheese is certainly the way to go! "Pay attention to the little things" - Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this!! Hate the grit in my eye...love the grit in my tummy and I will be honest, it was one of the first things that came to my mind when I saw the word too....but I was led in a different direction when my fingers hit the keys!
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your thoughts on grit. I'm surprised grits didn't come to mind when I saw the prompt. Our family loves grits and all the more with butter, bacon and cheese! What a great reminder that patience is the best response we can have to those gritty moments in life.

    ReplyDelete