Monday, February 27, 2012

Some Lenten Music

Though I'm not Catholic, I still find the season of Lent well worth noting and celebrating. The somberness of Lent and the remembrance of Christ's sacrifice for us contrasts with the great celebration of Easter. So too does the utter darkness of sin and separation from God contrast with the light and the freedom of our redemption. During Lent, I find myself thinking thinking on passages of Scripture such as the reminder in Romans 2:23, "for all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God," and we know from passages such as Romans 5 or from Romans 6:23 that our sin brings death and separation from God. And yet we are also encouraged in Romans 5:8 by the reminder that "for God shows His love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." And when I mentally follow that path from Christ's earthly life to His crucifixion, my heart also follows that path from my own death in sin to the redemptive secrifice made for us, and I cannot help but wonder.

And at this time of year, this time of pondering and wondering, I find "What Wondrous Love is This" to be such a beautiful and comforting hymn.

1 comment:

  1. excellent choice, Amy. I, too, am not Catholic, but am pondering how to celebrate Lent this year as I like everything about it. Music is a perfect way to begin my journey!

    ReplyDelete