Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wealthy indeed


See that picture? It's not from Flickr or any other common image site. I took it myself, and these are all the Bibles I have in my house at the moment. It's a little deceptive, though, because my husband and I had a few more which we donated shortly before Christmas.

We thought these four were all we needed. There's my husband's Bible from college, which he reads daily and which has been used for swearings in at various posts he has held. And there's the adorable kids' Bible that I keep for when little guests come to vist. I have my Reformation Study Bible(ESV), with its helpful articles and notes. And then there's the NKJV Bible, chosen for its being a large-print edition. I find inductive Bible study very helpful and illuminating, but I didn't want to do all my note-writing and coloring of keywords in my "nice" study Bible.

That's right - I have the Bible I read and pray over and a Bible for when I want to go digging in deep, coloring and writing all over the margins. When I saw that, I just stopped for a moment with the realization that I am so incredibly rich in the Word that I can have more than 1 Bible for more than 1 type of study. How amazing is that? And not only this, but we can have Bibles in more than 1 translation. My goodness, we even have enough that we can give away extras!

I'd never really thought this through before, but when I learn about people such as the Vidunda in Africa, who lack even 1 Bible in their own language, the immensity of my wealth in Scripture astounds me. But we are not blessed simply to enjoy it for ourselves; We can share this bounty with others. And through blogging with the OneVerse project and being a monthly OneVerse partner for the Vidunda, that's exactly what I want to do.

I want there to be a day when the Vidunda can go looking through their houses to see how many Bibles they have.
-----------

And if you'd like to see what some of the other OneVerse bloggers have to say about Bible poverty, you'll find us linking up at My Journey to Authenticity.

And here's a challenge for you! - Why don't you see how many Bibles YOU have? You can post your photos on the OneVerse Facebook wall.


OneVerse Blogger

11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful opportunity to give :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it is! The longer I work with OneVerse, the more I just love what they're doing.

      Delete
  2. "But we are not blessed simply to enjoy it for ourselves; We can share this bounty with others."

    Oh, this is so true. We are blessed so that we can be a blessing to others. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too, pray for the day when the Vidunda people can search their homes and gather their Bibles! What a glorious day that will be!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really great post -- and I am Bible-rich, too -- plus we have every version available for free online. It is something I forget to express gratitude for. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have several Bibles as well and cannot fathom what life would be like if I could not turn to God's Word for truth, assurance and direction. Thanks for being a OneVerse blogger and bringing much-needed awareness to Bible poverty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. It really is amazing that we can so easily obtain Scripture while it's so rare in other parts of the world. We are so blessed.

      Delete
  6. Because we are so "wealthy" compared to the rest of the world here in the states, it's easy to forget that not everyone has access to the word of God like this. Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, the title to your post, "Wealthy Indeed," tells me so much about what you got out of this activity. It's interesting ... we all knew that we'd find lots of Bibles, but actually going and finding them made the truth stick so much better. I got to experience this, too! And I've been a missionary in Bible translation for 9 years ...

    I like what you say here: "But we are not blessed simply to enjoy it for ourselves; We can share this bounty with others." It IS a blessing to give from our abundance.

    Thanks for helping make this community great, and for caring and giving to the Vidunda people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, Denise stole the words right out of my mouth—was going to quote the exact phrase she did. Ditto!!

    ReplyDelete