Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Comparing Game

envy pear I think we all do it. "I wish my hair would hang just right like hers does." "I wish I could be like her and make a gorgeous centerpiece with just construction paper, salad greens, beads and a paper clip." "I wish I could afford to stay at home like she does." "I wish I could be as godly as my neighbor." It's endless, the way these dissatisfying thoughts just creep into our minds.

When asked, I can always respond that God has a plan for me. But somewhere along the way, I think we get so caught up in trying to fit in that it's easy to forget that just because God has a plan doesn't mean it's the exact same plan for every single person. Our blessings and our struggles won't look the same.

And we are reminded of this by Paul in his first letter to the Corinthians. In Chapter 12, he tells us that, "the body does not consist of one member but of many," and he goes on in 1 Corinthians 12:17 to say, "If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell?" In other words, the body of Christ needs us to have different gifts and callings because we each serve different and indispensable purposes.

I've heard this passage preached many times, yet it's a message all too easy to forget. One of the blessings I find online is that I have access to so much more in terms of information and ideas than I would have had otherwise. And the fellowship I find there is so sweet. However, that comparison game that we sometimes find ourselves pulled into offline seems to multiply itself ten times online. After all, we have smiling and happy Facebook pages, astounding Pinterest ideas, and bloggers who are way better at crafts than I ever even thought about being.

Sometimes I see all of that and I feel the temptation to be pulled into comparisons coming on. But then there's that still, small voice reminding me that, "You have a calling and it's not the same as hers." "Don't follow your neighbor, follow Me." And best of all, when I'm tempted to compare what I'm doing to what my sisters in Christ might be doing, I can remember being taught that "If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together."(1 Corinthians 12:26) And living in this way is so much better than wishing we could be just like someone else, isn't it?
-----------

Linking up at

13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reminder that I don't have to play the "compare game" which I regularly get sucked into!! Such an encouragement to know I've been given gifts that have worth, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you do have gifts of worth! And I love that wedding picture you use as your signature.

      Delete
  2. Amen! Beautiful lesson ... well shared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this, and I sooo agree! I do struggle from time to time with comparing myself to others. Its always harmful. Sometimes I feel like His expectations of me are so high I can't reach - then add in the expectation/comparison of others, and forget it. Sigh. It's a struggle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Sometimes when I step back and look at expectations, I realize I'm putting things on myself that God never told me to do, but it's still too easy to get caught up in that cycle of comparing to others.

      Delete
  4. Beautifully written post and so true! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Hope to see you again, soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! Times like this I keep thinking I need a "like" button here like the ones they have on Facebook. :)

      Delete
  5. This is such a WONDERFUL post to read today! I am very happy with my life, yet thoughts of not being enough, or doing enough often pop up in my mind. It's wonderful to be reminded that we all have gifts, and every gift is just as special as the other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this. I compare myself to others online all the time, and it's hard to remember that each person is special and has something special of their own to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, sister, amen to that! Love the indepth post and the encouragement you give. You're awesome, Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I take your post as confirmation. The Lord gave me a similar word, and I'm so happy hitting 'publish' and jumping to Write it, Girl I came across your post. It settled the word in my heart. I'm so guilty of comparing myself to other women. May the Lord bless you for your obedience. Thanks again!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I am always comparing!! Thanks for this sweet word!

    ReplyDelete
  10. love this post (and the photo) how true for all of us.

    "If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, all rejoice together."

    why is that so hard to live out?!

    ReplyDelete