Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Where is My Homemaking? A Simple Woman's Daybook

I must confess, friends, I've been in a little bit of a blue funk lately. I think it's because I'm closing one chapter of my life and God is sending me flying into another. And change always brings its little anxieties. Add in some unexpected family illness and last minute changes of plans, and there you have it.

Still, God is so good to us and I've been spending a few days lately thinking and praying about where He is calling me in my home life. Several of my friends participate in The Simple Woman's Daybook, and I thought I'd join in this month because as I read the prompts, I could see the ministry of my home coming more into focus.
--------
FOR TODAY


Outside my window... Raccoons are gathering on my deck as the often do in the evenings. I love looking at the cute little faces of the raccoon family that lives in my backyard!

I am thinking... of volunteering at a nursing home near my church. I've been holding off on volunteer work as I transition home because I didn't want to simply exchange one batch of overscheduled mess in my life for another. I want to be intentional about where I spend my time and seek God's leading in what to do with it.

I am thankful... for my supportive husband and for the abundance with which God has blessed us.

In the kitchen... I have ingredients out on the counter, and am debating whether to make cookies tonight or just rest.

I am wearing... A navy and cream striped sweater and a long denim skirt; no shoes :)

I am creating... stories in my mind. And I'm trying my hand at cross-stitch for the first time in many years.

I am going... to be home for a while. But my husband has a conference over in the Shenandoah Valley later this spring and I'm going to tag along and enjoy the beauty of my favorite part of Virginia!

I am wondering... what God intends for my writing and where He will take me with it. I read a blog piece today, where the author mentioned that quote from Chariots of Fire where Eric Luddell says, "God made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure." And when I thought about it, I realized that when I park myself here at the computer and write, that's when I feel God's pleasure. I think this is part of what He intends me to do.

I am reading... a book of which I was initially skeptical, but I gave it a chance, and as I read, I'm seeing wisdom in the author's words. I'll review it next week, so you'll know what it is. :)

I am hoping... that I can show people something of God's love in how I live.

I am looking forward to... throwing an engagement party for a sweet friend of mine.

I am learning... to be more efficient and to be a better steward of my time.

Around the house...I see lots of little projects, but I find myself anticipating them in the morning rather than dreading them in the late evening as I sit in traffic on a commute home.

I am pondering... life and fighting that urge to disengage mentally from current events and politics because of the incredible ugliness pervading so much of it. It repels me, but I don't dare stop paying attention and praying because I feel like we are reaching a very critical point in history.

A favorite quote for today... "The fact that I am a woman does not make me a different kind of Christian, but the fact that I am a Christian does make me a different kind of woman." - Elisabeth Elliot

One of my favorite things... is to watch my cats sleeping. They're so cute!

A few plans for the rest of the week: clearing out the living room so that we can paint, running a few errands, and helping a family come up with a long-term placement/care plan for a relative.

A peek into my day...

13 comments:

  1. Awesome to see you joining the Simple Movement :) I hope all your new plans are exciting, and am looking forward to hearing about them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love reading these on other blogs, and I had been mentally trying to organize my thoughts on homemaking anyway. :)

      Delete
  2. I also love to watch cats sleep, they are so relaxed and peaceful. I have never seen raccoons in the wild, I would love to see that, Looking to hearing your plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! And you would never believe it from some of the wildlife I see, but I actually live in a city - I'm not way out in the countryside at all.

      Delete
  3. I just have to say that your Daybook touched me! Your "pondering" is so very true and your "quote" could not be more on! I found you through Linky and so glad I did! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I'm so glad you came to visit.

      Delete
  4. It was very comforting to read your daybook, which contained very honest, humble, and heart-felt thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and it is always so nice to hear from you. I hope you and your husband have a good weekend!

      Delete
  5. I am sorry that you are feeling blue. I am in a transitional period as well right now and there are days when I feel so unsettled. I found comfort in your words and sweet spirit. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you! I know those transitional periods can be so tough; I've been in one for a little while now and it can be a little rollercoaster sometimes.

      Delete
  6. wow..changes happening in your life. Congrats on making a decision to move away from a job that held you back...and good luck in doing with a sick relative too..hang in there..spring is coming!!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    I go back and forth between paying attention to politics and ignoring it...
    Hope you have a happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "God made me fast..." I love that movie quote. I guess God made me funny, I see life funny, have funny things happen, etc. In the last few years I've taken to giving God credit for the silly things that have popped into my life - I think I could feel Him grinning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your "thinking" and "creating"! I understand not wanting to trade one type of business for another and struggling to see his ways with myriad great ideas! Praying with you as you seek the right thing! God knows, and does have a purpose for you, you can be sure of that. :) So glad you shared this!
    Jessie at JessieGunderson.com

    ReplyDelete