Monday, April 23, 2012

Creamed Chicken and Biscuits

Sometimes life just calls for a little bit of comfort food. This nice, creamy chicken sauce mixed up with biscuits just hits the spot. Even better, this recipe serves 6-8 people, and can easily be doubled to accomodate a larger family or table full of guests.

Creamed Chicken and Biscuits
1 stick unsalted butter
 about 2/3 - 3/4 pound of carrots, onions and celery, coarsely chopped
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (I use White Lily, but most brands work fine)
6 cups chicken stock, either homemade or from a base (if you use bouillion, try to find one without MSG) 1/2 cup heavy cream
 1 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
3 cups chopped, cooked chicken breast
about 4 oz. of frozen peas, thawed

1. Melt butter on medium heat, add veggies and turn temperature up to medium-high. Stir and cook until vegetables begin to soften, 7-10 minutes.

2. Add the flour and stir until combined. Lower heat to medium. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes. Don't let flour burn!

3. Add 1 cup stock to the pasty mixture and stir until smooth.

4. Keep adding stock 1/2 - 1 cup at a time, stirring until smooth, until all stock has been added.
5. Bring mixture to a boil and then turn heat to medium-low.

6. Slowly stir in heavy cream, and add salt and pepper.

7. Add chicken and cook for 5 minutes.  Stir in peas 10-12 minutes before serving.

A note on the biscuits: Just about any drop biscuit recipe will do here. I've made this with everything from superfast Bisquik biscuits to the made-from-scratch variety. They're all good with this chicken sauce. I will normally set the chicken aside after it's cooked, make up my biscuits, and then add the peas to the chicken sauce while the biscuits bake. After that, serving up the dish is easy. Enjoy!

14 comments:

  1. With our cold weather, soup is an ideal meal at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! I make creamed chicken and biscuits fairly often but never thought to add vegetables. What a great idea! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's great with vegetables! A little bit like pot pie for the lazy, I suppose, but I like it. :)

      Delete
  3. Yum this looks great!

    Come check out my list of 100 Smoothies! Comment if you'd like on which one is you favorite!

    Love, Traci @ Ordinary Inspirations http://www.ordinaryinspirations.blogspot.com/2012/04/100-smoothie-recipes.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks scrumptious, Amy! I need to make some gluten/dairy free versions of this. Now I'm hungry. but it's too late to eat :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
    http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting. I'm glad you've enjoyed it here. I'll have to check out your blog, too!

      Delete
  6. Long time, no blogging. Everything OK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I think things are mostly okay. I've just been busy with a lot of family things, and I've been sick with something that just saps all my energy. Unfortunately, that means I've been a little scarce online lately, but I've been working on some posts for this week so I'll be back. I hope you're doing well!

      Delete
    2. Doing well here. Looking forward to seeing you back in action when you are ready. I hope you are better soon.
      Mx

      Delete
  7. Mmmm, this sounds so yummy! I wish I could have dairy products, but my diet is pretty good even without them.

    Just stopping by to say "hello" and wish you a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete