Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Taco Soup

Well, I love soup and I love the seasonings that go into tacos, so when faced with leftover ground beef and some random odds and ends of vegetables, I came up with...

Taco Soup

8 oz. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 T. flour
2 cups water
about 1 lb. whole kernel corn (I used thawed, frozen corn but canned should work)
1 can kidney beans
1 lb. canned/bottled diced tomatoes*
2 T. taco seasoning
1 T. taco sauce - pick your spice level :)
1 tsp. non-salt seasoning salt (Tony Chachere's makes a good no-salt seasoning salt, and Penzey's Forward is also quite good, though I take issue with some of Penzey's politics)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

1. Brown ground beef and onion in skillet, stirring frequently. Drain.

2. Add flour and stir until dissolved. Add water and pour mixture into large saucepan.

3. Add corn, beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning, taco sauce, seasoning salt alternative, and garlic powder. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.

4. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

5. Serve hot. This is great garnished with shredded cheddar, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, etc... Serves 8.


*With tomatoes, it can be hard in some areas to find tomatoes that aren't canned. I try to go BPA-free, though, for health reasons. Muir Glen is BPA-free and I'm sure there are other brands, too.

3 comments:

  1. It is started to get cold here and I have been making soup. My husband and I love soup and crusty bread for dinner on a cold night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness, that looks scrumptious! I will have to try that--I love soups as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm...that looks so good!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete