Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Do You Have Leftovers? Make Soup!



Do you end up with pesky little odds and ends of leftovers? You know the sort I mean - too much to throw away but too little to make a substantive dish? It happens to me all the time. When I look in my cabinets and see little odds and ends of stuff, I like to make soup.

The varieties are endless - I just mix in whatever vegetables are hitting their "Use me now!" date, perhaps some dried beans, rice or pasta and some kind of stock. This time around I had some chicken gravy in the fridge as well as a tiny (1/4 cup) leftover portion of beef gravy, so I threw those in and they gave the soup a richer than usual flavor. More proof that leftovers don't have to be boring!

To give you ideas, here's what I did with the leftovers I found this past weekend:

Olive Oil(light)
1 onion, diced
1 or 2 celery ribs, diced
handful of shiitake mushrooms, diced (any kind of mushrooms will work)
2 bay leaves
3-4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
3 1/2 cups gravy (I mixed chicken and a small amount of beef)
1 cup cooked lentils or small beans
1 cup cooked wild rice (or brown rice or white rice, or even pasta)
1 cup canned, diced tomatoes
fresh parsley or grated parmesan



1. Heat the olive oil in a stock pot and saute onion for about 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Add other vegetables and the bay leaves, and saute, stirring often, for another 4-5 minutes.

2. Add the stock and bring to boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered for 10 minutes.

3. Stir in gravy, lentils, rice and tomatoes. Simmer over low heat until heated through, at least 10 minutes. Serve hot and garnish with parsley or parmesan, as you like.


Get creative! And if you come up with a particularly good combo, let me know!










4 comments:

  1. HA! Doing that today with leftover chicken and the carcass:-) I have leftover kale and some pasta noodles so we'll see what we come up with ...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a yummy combo! I love kale in soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soups are certainly yummy! We make various variety of soups all the time in our home now.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!
    I would LOVE it if you shared this in my #10 Linky Party! You can find it here: http://littlemomprairie.blogspot.com/p/blog-round-up.html

    ReplyDelete