Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Midweek Links: They Comfort Me

 As you know from my last post, I've been healing from a miscarriage, an experience that probably scars my heart more than my body at this point. It brought about a lot of soul-searching, prayer and some very difficult days.  And in the midst of it all, there were things I read, that comforted me a lot.

My friend Jessalyn over at Desiring Virtue knows this place of hurt and healing, and her story moved me the first time I read it,and inspires me now.  Her reflections on prayer in the wake of having gone through miscarriage also gave me great comfort and reassurance in my own prayer life.

And if you search through other Christian websites, many other wonderful women have walked this path before and I have found a number of helpful testimonies and devotionals.  This post from At the Well was a good resource as well.

I mentioned before that I found it helpful to read and meditate upon Scripture. Psalms especially spoke to my soul, and in addition to reading my Bible, I appreciated some of the art I found here.  A word of caution - there can be some unsavory things on Tumblr at times, so explore with discernment.

And there was music. My brother sent me this song because he thought the lyrics would speak to me even if it wasn't my usual style of music. And it did - in some ways this one was a psalm of comfort in modern language - a cry to God of anguish and a hymn of thanksgiving for His faithfulness, both of which I feel keenly.




And what about you?  What have you found comforting in times of loss?



5 comments:

  1. Hi Amy,

    This is Sarah, I used to blog over at Confessions of Life and Faith but now at A Quiet Home. I've missed your blog and have always come by regularly in the hopes of seeing you back. I worried that something had happened.

    I am so sincerely sorry for the loss of your precious one. I understand after losing two myself, though not in the context of being told I was infertile. My heart breaks so much for you and I feel your pain in your words.

    For me, I got angry with God, and even though I didn't want to, my miscarriages came after other painful experiences and I just didn't know why. That journey actually taught me to really speak my heart to God and not just rote things to say. I relied heavily on passages from Lamentations 3 to remind myself of God's goodness in the light of suffering, knowing who He is and what He is doing in our pain.

    I talked ALOT to my husband and friends. Cried a lot. And slowly just started moving forward. On days I felt low, I did things, got out of the house.

    I'm thinking of you and praying for you. It's so good to see you here again, I'll be back all the time.

    Blessings to you sister x

    PS: I communicated with Jessalyn alot too and now we're on FB together. An email she sent me then posted on her site really changed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Sarah! It is so good to hear from you. I found A Quiet Home via other bloggy friends and as soon as I started reading, I wondered if that was you.

      Your words are such a comfort, and I know that going through these losses must have been so painful for you, too. I look forward to catching up with you!

      Delete
  2. Love that song! I had always considered it a song that the 'kids' liked...until I was going thru a miscarriage and heard it..the song took on a whole new meanning to me at that time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing the posts from DV with your readers Amy. I praise the Lord that they were able to be an encouragement to you in those dark times and hope that he will continue to use them in the lives of others. I love you sweet sister and am thankful that you are sharing your struggles and sorrows and above all your hope in the Lord with others. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for your loss. I have 3 babies in heaven. We lost twin boys in 2006, and another baby less than a year later. This year, husband and I are planning to write a book about our experiences. God's comfort is one of the most real and sweetest things,that I have ever experienced.

    Thanks for stopping by, and following my blog!
    ~Linda
    www.lindalmartin.com- my blog about healthier choices in our home and family
    www.ernestmartinjr.com -my husband's blog about his journey to lose 150 pounds

    ReplyDelete