Friday, March 15, 2013

Resting in Him


Lately I've been cherishing Christ's promise that all of the weary and heavy-laden who come unto Him shall find rest for their souls. I have been desperately in need of rest and peace, you see. As I've written here before, I had a miscarriage back in June that shook me to the core. Going years of believing I would never have a child, to thinking it just might be possible, to losing it and wondering why was a cycle that left me shaken and weary. I've been stressed before, I've been sad before, but never so bone-deep with weariness as this.

This rest, this being able to be at peace is no easy process. My human self rebelled at first. I saw it as my pain and my loss. This was my child taken from me too early. I didn't want to acknowledge what I knew about this child being God's gift or that He did indeed have a purpose and a hand in my life. But there was this still small voice and it got to me through the storming in my heart...

And you know what? As I sought God and just let myself wander through His word, seeking, or let myself come before Him in prayer, longing, I did find rest. I found hope and peace, and the reminder that even as the storms of this life come my way, God has plans for me. We don't get a free pass on suffering in this life, but neither do we go it alone. He let me remember, and deep in my heart and soul, I can rest.

--------
This is a piece written in five minutes with no editing as part of Five Minute Fridays. Want to try writing free for five minutes? Join in here!

Five Minute Friday

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Amy, my heart breaks for you. I can't relate because I've never been in your situation, but I do know God. I know He has a perfect plan and that, as you said, He never leaves us. He's always there. I'm praying for rest and peace for you.

    Your neighbor on 5 Minute Friday and a new follower

    Blessings, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    I can relate to your writing today and have also been "blessed" through sadness as God ministers through my faithfulness to rest physically and rest in Him and His provision through it all.
    Thank you for sharing your story with a vulnerable heart.
    Blessings,
    Amy Ward

    ReplyDelete
  3. We lost a little girl half way through a pregnancy we weren't supposed to be able to have. Grief is a journey - someone showed me a video of Jesse Duplantis talking about the Holy Spirit taking him to heaven - and there he saw all those babies who didn't make it - being taught by Jesus - and inside, my spirit grabbed hold of that - that I would see her, hug her, walk with her - just not now. That has helped me so often:) It takes courage - to rest in Him during this grief journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ((hugs)) Thanks so much for commenting. I know that the loss of your little girl must have been heartrending. Peace and best wishes to you!

      Delete
  4. 1. The photo for this post is beautiful. 2. I really appreciate your honesty in this post. I cannot specifically relate to your journey but I know the cycle of weariness. Rest isn't an easy process. "We don't get a free pass on suffering in this life, but neither do we go it alone." Those were words of encouragement for me this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful post....I don't know if you received my e-mail or not, but I was so very sorry to hear about your miscarriage. I can't even imagine the pain.

    I loved your last sentence about not getting a free pass on pain...this is so important for us to remember, and I'm afraid too many churches and preachers are not telling us the truth about this.

    Blessings and Hugs,
    ~Michele

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michele. It's so good to hear from you! I didn't get your email so I'm extra glad to hear from you here.

      If you wanted to try sending again, my email address is beyondmyblueridge AT gmail DOT com.Thanks!

      Delete