Friday, March 8, 2013

Where is Home?



I've never entirely liked that Robert Frost quotation, "Home is the place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in." The grimness of the duty implied in that sentence always leaves me cold. It's a begrudging sort of charity implied there. For me, home is the place where, when you have to go there, they want to welcome you in.

Home has warmth to me, it has welcome. I'm truly an introvert and yet I still want my own home to be warm and welcoming to others. I don't ever want anyone to feel brought into my house out of duty alone.  I have been promised home as an example of warmth and love, and how can I not try to share that warmth and love with others even if my ways are human and flawed?

Goodness knows, our Father in Heaven does not take us into His home out of cold duty alone. We are told in John that God so loved the world, He gave His only son for us.  We are told in Luke's parable of the lost sheep how God will go after our lost selves and in Galatians 4, Paul writes of how God saved us so that He could adopt us as His children.  And going back to John, how can we forget Christ in Chapter 14 telling of His father's house with many mansions and of the place He goes to prepare for us there.  None of what God gives us comes from duty. He is almighty and all that He showers on us is given out of love for His children.

And when I think on that example of home, I remember. As heartbreakingly beautiful as this place can be, this is not my home. There is more than what my human eyes see on Earth and home with God stretches into eternity. Seen like that, the word "home" feels a little less commonplace, doesn't it?

--------------------

This piece was written in five minutes (and goodness, I hope I got my citations right since I did them from memory! Correct me gently in the comments if I'm wrong.) for Five Minute Friday. 

Five Minute Friday

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. I feel that way too but if you read my post you will see why home as "here" means a lot to me today.
    Blessings
    Dropping in from Lisa Jo.
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you quoted Robert Frost - and then disagreed with him! (I do too!) Home is a warm welcome to me... it is something to relish in and offer to others too! Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Extending Home a bit further via the web! Who doesn't love that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree with your take on Robert Frost's statement. And you're right, thanks goodness we have a forever home with God. We've traveled around a lot and have only felt completely at home when we've found a church family to be part of.

    This is my first time participating in FMF. I'm enjoying reading a sampling of the posts. Great to meet you here, and I hope you'll stop by mine at http://tinyurl.com/bw8bvdt

    Blessings,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that Robert Frost...he meant well, but I agree with you ;)
    home feels a little less commonplace--I love that . I'm going to be pondering it. Thank you, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Amy
    What a new, fresh outlook on home. There where love, and a welcome comes free of charge, from an honest heart filled with true affection and love. Just like our Pappa from heaven. Thank you for stopping by at my blog.
    Much love
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Amy,
    I'm visiting from Home Educator Mom. Thanks for stopping by and taking time to say hello. It's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen.
    These places where we dwell now, spread out across the globe are simply temporary rentals that we make as cozy as we can for the time we're here.
    The greater glory waits...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea that home conotates warmth. It's funny I have been in some earthly mansions with beautiful furnishings and felt much more love and warmth in tiny tidy dwellings. Warmth the way you have described it, is almost an emotion rather than just a sensation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post, Amy! Thank you for pointing out that God doesn't take us in just because of cold duty. I find it incredible that while He has every right to make us slaves, He adopts us as children!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed that you composed such a beautiful testimony on the word home in only five minutes.

    I agree, if you lack charity (e.g., love) when you do any action, it doesn't mean anything. People can usually see through that type of false love, and are immediately "put-off" by such behavior.


    Blessings!



    P.S. It's good to "see" you again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! Reminds me of that old hymn, "This world is not my home. I'm just a passing through..."

    ReplyDelete