Friday, April 12, 2013

Here and Now



In my dreams, I still roam valleys barefoot, smiling into the sun and smelling the grass, flowers and water that sing spring.

Here and now I live in a small city, a beautiful green corner of it, but still not the wide open spaces my heart knows as home. And yet there's beauty here.

There's the joy of recognizing a friend as we go about errands in town.

The unexpected delight of seeing sun hit water as one turns a corner, going from city streets to wide open river.

I can live in memories and dreams, and let my mind's eye vividly open pictures of spring spent elsewhere. And at times, I love to do that. But living in the here, the now, creates new memories and delights. It's a different place than what I'm used to, but it's become home over time. Here I have a loving church family, my much-beloved husband, and a little city to explore. Walking among Civil War battlefields and historic buildings, one finds treasure here - a coffee shop that makes some of the best lattes I've ever tasted, a thrift store that looks more like a cozy cottage than a garage sale, unexpected glimpses of beauty as trees and gardens peek out amidst the downtown streets.

I treasure my memories, but I give thanks for the joys of life here and now.


------------
This is a piece written in five minutes with no editing as part of Five Minute Fridays. Want to try writing free for five minutes? Join in here!

Five Minute Friday

9 comments:

  1. I like what you said-I treasure my memories, but I give thanks for the joys of life here and now.
    Hopping over from Lisa-Jo to read your FMF and I am glad I did.
    Be blessed:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise! And happy anniversary to you - I hope you've been having a wonderful week!

      Delete
  3. Your little town sounds like a great place to wonder. Have fun making memories there

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your first line about roaming valleys barefoot.....I can so relate to you. I sometimes get caught up in daydreaming and then coming back to the "here and now" can be challenging. But there really is something so sweet in being right where God has us, isn't there? Contentment is special. Is that a picture of your town? It looks beautiful and so quaint! I think I would love it too! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Memories are treasures, but the moments in which you're making them are equally (more?) precious.

    Nice post. Your here seems very nice.

    Laura Hedgecock
    http://www.TreasureChestofMemories.com/blog
    http://www.Twitter.com/LauraLHedgecock

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know where you live, but your little town sounds wonderful! We live way out in the country, about 25 minutes from a grocery store, doctor, etc. Your sweet town sounds like a fabulous place to bump into friends - old or new!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I get this...the city we're in now took me years to grow into. I missed my wide open spaces and held on to the hope that we were just here in passing...well, 11 years later God still has us here and it's only been the last few years I've claimed each day and lived them fully. Sure, I may have to view it as our missionfield:) but it helps my mission be to bring this gift of today to glory...

    what a beautiful write, Amy! {HUGS}

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many years ago, I thought that after university I would live in the country but
    God's ways are higher than our ways. I met my husband who worked in town, at church and have lived in London ever since. Yes, there is so much unexpected beauty: the woods in walking distance, the beautiful parks and fascinating history.

    I enjoyed reading this-God's plans for our lives are higher than ours.

    ReplyDelete