Thursday, April 11, 2013

I Didn't Deserve That




"(F)or all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus,"
- Romans 3:23-24

My grandfather was always fond of saying that everything has a flip side. And so it is with fairness. Often when we complain we don't deserve something, it's because we at least perceive ourselves as being treated unfairly. While I do not downplay the importance of justice, it's impossible to think on just outcomes and fairness without remembering the other side of things we don't deserve.

After all, none of us ever deserved a Savior.

All of us have sinned, and all of us would be dead in our sin were it not for Christ's salvation. I can cook and clean and even if I somehow made myself into the perfect picture of a homemaker, I would not deserve salvation. My sin is real and cannot be erased. And so it is with all of us.

As I read Romans during my devotional this morning, I could not help but be struck anew. As a believer, it can become too easy to think of ourselves as the saved, the elect, and too difficult to remember the dark sinfulness of heart from which we came.

And yet, the more one thinks upon this amazing unfairness, this unearned salvation - how can we not fall to our knees in wonder? How can we not let our hearts sing with praise? In our sinful hands, we can break others with undeserved acts but in the hands of God, undeserved grace and love makes us whole. We don't deserve God's love, but learning of it, how can we not want to seek His face and learn His ways?


1 comment:

  1. So true! I never thought about the juxtaposition but it really is amazing when you think of the incomprehensible grace of salvation.

    So glad you're in our prayer group!

    ReplyDelete