Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Midweek Links - Same Sex "Marriage"

Same sex "marriage" is not strictly a homemaking topic, I know. However, it is a type of relationship which does not fit any biblical definition of marriage and the laws surrounding these relationships definitely have a bearing on what type of society we will be building into the future. In that light, I cannot help but pray about and study this issue. Ignoring it will not make it go away, so what are we as Christians to do?

First of all, if you are unfamiliar with biblical teachings on marriage and homosexuality, I would urge you to consult your Bible. This list gives some places to start, and this Bible study also has some helpful information.

You may also want to listen to the American Supreme Court arguments for yourself, so you know what is being debated from a legal perspective in my country. One case deals with whether or not a state law banning gay marriage in California is legal. That case is called Hollingsworth v. Perry, and you can access it here. The other case deals with whether or not the nationwide, federal Defense of Marriage Act is constitutional. That case is styled United States v. Windsor and can be found here.

In addition, Kelly Reins from Ah the Life has compiled some research regarding biblical teachings on this issue, and she has made it available on LAF/Beautiful Womanhood.

I also found this message from a gay sister in Christ very moving. I'd highly encourage reading this one - I even pinned it to my Pinterest boards because I didn't want to forget it! It's a good reminder that what the world preaches as "compassion" does not bring the peace and healing that so many people need and will only find in Christ.

Lastly, over at True Woman is posted an action plan on how we, as Christian woman, can confront this issue.

And I'm sure people want to know what I think, too. After prayerfully seeking guidance, I cannot come to any conclusion other than that which teaches engaging in homosexual behavior is a sin. I am also very much aware that gays are sinners in need of God's love every bit as much as the rest of us. "Hate the sin but not the sinner" is a phrase that has unfortunately become cliched as well as shamefully misused to excuse all manner of distinctly un-Christlike treatment of others, but it is also a phrase that really does fit this situation. The people at the heart of this debate are God's creation and I think we need to remember that, but I cannot in any way condone the false "marriage" that they seek to promote because it goes against the teachings of God with regard to marriage and the family.

1 comment:

  1. This post has a lot of food-for-thought in it. I really enjoyed reading the testimony of the formerly gay woman. Thank you for posting....

    ReplyDelete