Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Book Review: Glimpses of Grace

The Book: Glimpses of Grace by Gloria Furman

Crossway, $14.99(June 2013)

Finding God in the mundane everyday of homemaking fascinates me. Some days it seems ridiculously easy to see Him working in my day and to feel His calm extend over me like a blanket when I'm hurrying through a round of cleaning house, getting my grandma to the doctor and back again before my student arrives for tutoring.

And then there are the other days. I think every homemaker knows these.  Days where it seems like the laundry will never end or everything you put on the stove for dinner manages to burn or devolve into an unappetizing mass.  Days where we get so hung up on feeling neglected that we forget we have an important Kingdom mission.  This book is sweet but firm encouragement for those days.

There were two things that I really loved about this book.  First of all, the author starts off by reminding all of us of the truth of the gospel.  She tells readers that, "Theology is for homemakers who need to know who God is, who they are, and what this mundane life is all about." As a longtime believer, it can be easy to lose sight of the wonder and weight of the gospel message because it's been woven into life for us so long that we let it become commonplace. Furman does a wonderful job of reminding us of the earthshaking wonder of what what God has done.

Furman also has poured so much of herself into this book - and in relatable ways. She speaks very candidly about the struggles her family has faced due to the chronic health struggles of a family member. She also shares the ups and downs of days where the frustrations of daily home life can bring discontentment. After all, we may know the truth of God's Word, but when your home is overrun with contractors, you haven't had plumbing in 2 days and someone's getting sick on the carpet, it can be really hard to feel like a child of God with a purpose.

In the end, while I did find the book to be a bit repetitive in places, I very much enjoyed what I read. Furman does a wonderful job of reminding homemakers of those things we have been taught but can easily lose sight of behind one load of laundry too many. I love being a homemaker but even when you know you're living out your calling, there are times when it helps to have some godly encouragement. Glimpses of Grace is exactly that.

--------------
Note: I was provided a free copy of this book by Crossway Books in return for an honest review. Thank you!


1 comment:

  1. Even if we know something (have the knowledge of the Gospel) hearing it again always has value! Thanks for the book review - I'm a big review reader before buying a book!

    ReplyDelete