Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Praying for Our Nation




The news these past few weeks (or even these past few years) has been discouraging. The United States Supreme Court upholds gay marriage, an idea contrary not only to God's teachings but also to over 2000 years of law and tradition. Abortion activists actually chant, "Hail Satan!" in the midst of a legislative debate. Our government has found itself mired in so many scandals that we scarcely know which of our leaders to trust anymore. The current immigration debate shows that the idea of simply enforcing the laws of the nation is not taken as a given any long.  And in the recent Romeike family case, a homeschooling family facing persecution in their home country wins their asylum petition only to have a government hostile to religion challenge it at every turn - and that government happens to be our own.

I love my country. I love its history, its traditions and its people. However, we are now reduced to a land where the government cannot balance a budget, the liberty of our people is being compromised, and those charged with leading the country are mired in so many scandals that it is difficult to know who to trust. It breaks my heart.

From listening to people around me and reading in the internet, I know that there are those who are growing bitter and disillusioned. However, as a believer, I do not think that this is how we are called to act. I feel very strongly that we must take the United States and its leaders to God in prayer. We need to pray for healing and revival, for our leaders to have faith, wisdom and humility, for the culture of this country to turn back toward Christian roots, and for so much more.  Will you join me this 4th of July in praying for the country?

"[I]f my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
 - 2 Chronicles 7:14


Linking up at The Focused Homemaker

1 comment: