Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Trying Something New - Midweek Links






I was taught to cook by my mother and grandmothers, so much of my repertoire involves traditional mountain Virginia cooking, enlivened with yummy finds from my cookbook collection.  It's wonderful stuff, but maybe not 100% healthful.

For a variety of reasons, my husband and I are trying to eat healthier these days.  I had heard about Trim Healthy Mama in the Above Rubies magazine, which I've subscribed to for years and after the book came out I started seeing it on several websites I frequent.  I wasn't entirely sure I wanted to jump on a trendy diet bandwagon, so I hung back for a bit, researching and praying.  However, this plan seems to allow for good health and good eating and it doesn't seem too extreme.  We decided to give it a try.

I like that THM encourages alternation between low-carb(S) and low-fat(E) meals.  The secret seems to be not mixing the carbs and fats.  There are a few other pointers, too (getting rid of refined grains like white bread, white rice, etc...) but that's the main concept.

I have researched some of the information sites online, but to get the full flavor of the plan, so to speak, one really does need to get the book.  Mine came yesterday and I've read most of it already.  You'll probably be hearing more about my adventures in THM eating over the next few weeks as I chronicle some of my experiments in trying to make favorite foods THM-friendly. You may also notice that, for health reasons, I may use a few more S-helpers rather than staying purely S and E.  Since I also have a peanut allergy, I will also be sharing my adventures in food substitution as I adapt the plan to make it work for us.  Stay tuned!

If you're interested in the book, here is where you can both order and find more information.

If you want some background information and help getting started, there are fabulous resources to be found in the Trim Healthy Mama Facebook Group.  I joined before I even got my book, and it's been very helpful!

As it is with so many things, Pinterest is a wealth of information and ideas on THM.

Sifting through all the information in this huge (600+ pages!) book is a challenge, so I'm being inspired by the 30-day THM Challenge going on over at Little Natural Cottage.   I like hanging around her corner of the internet and learning new, crunchy things anyway so this gives me another excuse.

So, what about you?  Have you tried THM?  Can you tell me what you think?  Or if you haven't, have you been curious about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment